Monday, September 5, 2011

Girl-Night-In Indulgences

My husband went out of town for a few days last month, and I held a girl-night-in party every evening of his trip. Neither men nor martinis were harmed during his time away: I watched movies, read books, and got hooked on a television show recommended by Younger Daughter.

Movies with too much pondering and not enough plot put my guy to sleep. He doesn’t find romantic comedies particularly funny, and he’s bitter that I put Black Swan into our Netflix queue.

While the Swan-hater wasn’t around, I re-watched Love Actually and The Holiday, and saw Eat, Pray, Love, all thanks to Netflix. The three movies proved a fun, zesty treat-- the zero-calorie equivalent of Key Lime pie.( Love Actually might be more like Sticky Toffee Pudding, a dessert I adore. Look for it at the menu at Feast in Houston.)

My night-time reading included Jojo Moyes’ The Last Letter from Your Lover, a touching, heart-breaking read. The letters from fictional Anthony O’Hare made me swoon, but neither lamps nor small breakables were harmed.

When Younger Daughter told me I had to watch TLC’s Say Yes to the Dress, I thought she was hinting at an upcoming wedding. Wrong. She thought I’d like the internal and external conflicts brides-to-be and their families and friends take to the bridal shop when hunting for dream wedding dresses.

Thanks to Younger Daughter, I’ve gotten half a ream of ideas from the show. Some moms chip, chip, chip away a their daughters’ self-esteem, some bridesmaids hijack attention from the bride-to-be, and for every Bridezilla, there’s a girl who’s reluctant to claim as much as five minutes of limelight for herself. The program’s a mother lode for writers of women’s fiction.

After a few days of girl time, I was ready for ESPN. Marriage is about compromise, a shared remote control, and separate lights for reading in bed.

What movies, books, TV shows are your favorite indulgences?


2 comments:

Lark Howard said...

I LOVE "Love Actually"!!!! Can't tell you how many times I've watched it.

I'm not generally a romantic comedy girl and the DH will watch almost anything entertaining that doesn't star Sarah Jessica Parker or Jennifer Anniston. My home-alone faves are French films in French, and off-beat stuff like WILD ORCHID or the TRUE BLOOD TV series. He's not so keen on those.

PatriciaKay.com said...

I love Love Actually so much, I own a copy. Unfortunately it's on tape (yes, I still have a VCR) and I now prefer DVDs. I also own One Fine Day, Hope Floats, Dirty Dancing, You've Got Mail and many others. All guilty pleasures. I also just finished watching the fifth season of Friday Night Lights. Thank you, Pat, for turning me on to the series. Could anything be more satisfying than Coach, Tammy, et al? A movie I indulged in recently that the DH didn't like was Blue Valentine. There's nothing I'd rather do than read or watch movies or great T.V. Thanks for the tip on Yes To The Dress. I'll have to check it out.