Monday, November 21, 2011

A BOOK TO CURL UP WITH


Last night I finished THE LAST LETTER FROM YOUR LOVER by Jojo  Moyes and knew I needed to recommend it to anyone looking for a lovely read over the upcoming holiday weekend.

The story follows two “heroines” forty years apart. Jennifer is the wife of a wealthy London businessman in 1960 who falls in love with a journalist while summering on the French Riviera. Ellie is a high-powered journalist in 2003’s London who is having an affair with a famous and very married author. Their paths intersect when Ellie finds a heart-breaking love letter and sets out to discover the story behind it.

The contrast between Jennifer’s world and its oppressive restrictions on women and Ellie’s world where her social freedom creates its own emotional barriers is one of the themes that lifts this story beyond the typical love story and makes it memorable. And the writing is good! Go to your nearest independent bookstore today (plug for the indies who support us!) and get a copy!

3 comments:

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

I, too, loved that book, Lark. (Pat Kay lent it to me a while ago. In fact, I enjoyed it so much, I bought a large-print version for my mother.)

Yes, the contrast between Jennifer's and Ellie's worlds is sharp, but, as you pointed out, "social freedom creates its own barriers." Moyes does a good job "showing" the fifties and sixties as well as current times. By the end of the book, I was grateful to have come of age after one heroine and before the other.

Moyes' heroines are complicated but compelling as they navigate problems created by themselves and by their eras.

Thanks for this review.

Lark Howard said...

I'm glad I was between the two as well although I still experienced many of those 60's attitudes from my parents' generation when I was younger.

I think I may have heard of the book from Pat Kay, too. Her recommendations are always excellent.

Anonymous said...

Ooh...Sounds like a great one! Thanks for the recommendation, Pat. Planning to pop into my favorite local book store this weekend. :) Stay well & have a happy thanksgiving!