Thursday, February 28, 2013

Quite Contrary

Sometimes we have to bend the rules. In life, as in writing, what works for one person doesn't for another.

If we hit a wall at work or with a work-in-progress, it makes sense to consider another approach or look at our tried-and-true methods from a different angle.

The following are four articles or blog posts that made me smile, think, and begin again with a changed attitude.

At Lifehacker Alan Henry takes aim at productivity myths. Hey, if getting up at four-thirty every morning works for you, keep doing it. But if you fall asleep at the computer monitor at three in the afternoon, make a change that fits your body rhythm. 

James Altucher at The Rumpus describes himself as "mediocre." If that's true, I'll have what he's having. Read his "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Mediocre People." 

Hilary T. Smith, the writer formerly known as The Intern, debunks the kind of advice commonly tossed at novelists. While the advice itself has merit, it doesn't fit every writer or every type of story. http://www.hilarytsmith.com/2013/02/the-auto-mechanic-and-cello-when.html

Finally, author Pam Morsi warns fellow writers against repeating the kind of book that's succeeded before and advises her peers to buck trends if their hearts and stories lead them down less traveled roads

Ta da! An announcement: For the next couple of months, due to self-imposed deadlines, I'll be blogging here just once a week, on Thursdays. I hope you'll stop by. Thanks for reading and for leaving comments that buoy my spirits. Want to get my Thursday posts my email? Sign up at the bottom of this page. Again, thanks for reading!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Pat! I like 7 effective habits of a mediocre people. That seems to be a good fit for me. LOL! I'll be looking forward to your Thursday posts! Thanks! :)

Lynette M Burrows said...

Great articles, Pat. I liked the 7 effective habits, too. But I liked Pam's article, too. Although right now, I'd love the chance to get too big for my britches. :)

I'll be watching for those Thursday posts and for the announcements that you've met your deadlines. Good luck!

Emma Burcart said...

Those were some great posts! Thanks for the inspiration. I needed it today!

Ginger Calem said...

Pat, I look forward to all your blogs so I will anticipate Thursdays and know you're doing what you need to do for yourself on the other days and be glad about it. :)

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Hi, Karen,
That's "Seven Habits of Highly Effective Mediocre People," Karen! Your comment made me laugh. Effective, wouldn't you say?

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Hi, Lynette,
I hear you about wanting the chance to get too big for your britches, but I'm taking Pam's word for it that success comes with its own pressures.

Thanks for keeping an eye on me. Meanwhile, I can't wait for your new website's debut.

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Emma,
Your my inspiration today. Congrats on getting into that master's program. Yay for you!

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Ginger,
Thanks for the kick in the butt you give me via your Writer's Butt posts. I have got to finish the WIP, and February kicked my butt in a different way. I've got to prioritize. Your support means a lot to me.

Lark Howard said...

I like the bit "Willpower is limited. Use it wisely." So many of us think we have to exercise way more self-discipline than is reasonable and beat ourselves up when something slips.

Thanks for all the links. You always post such great resources!

Alarna Rose Gray said...

I'm off to check out some of those links right now, Pat! We can all use a new perspective from time to time. All the best with your deadlines :)

Alarna Rose Gray said...

By the way, really liked the 'mediocre' tips - great perspective on some things that goes against the common grain. Thank you!

Coleen Patrick said...

Thanks for the smiles today, Pat. Love the mediocre link, and your exchange with Karen even more. I wish you productivity and success. Have to say you have been on my mind a lot for the last couple of weeks. I'm about to launch my book and I keep thinking about your bread crumb analogy. It's so true, that's exactly what I've been doing--leaving bread crumbs about my story (even if it feels like I'm dropping loaves). I'm hoping it will get easier, but in the meantime thanks for always being so supportive!! :)