Thursday, October 3, 2013

Links for Writers


If someone had told me years ago a mathematical formula for writing existed, I’d have worked harder in Algebra II.  Before you dismiss the notion of a writing/math connection, read this article.  

In Porter Anderson’s latest Ether for Authors, Phil Sexton, publisher of Writer’s Digest, urges writers to ask questions of their current or potential publishers.  Sexton’s tone is thoughtful, not adversarial. As Anderson puts it, “Sexton’s purpose here was to encourage traditionally published authors and those considering contracts to work against the sometimes parental ‘we have it all under control’ tone such business relationships can take on for writers."

Marcy Kennedy explains (with examples!) the difference between a logline and a tagline. 

I’m a fan of Matt Haig’s take on books and writing. Here he offers advice on how to get published. (How many times do we have to hear this kind of thing before it sinks in? In my case, the number apparently is 205 and counting.)

I’m off to a conference with my writing buddy Janice Martin. Have logline and tagline--will travel.

If you’re a writer, I wish you a productive weekend. If you’re not a writer, consider yourself lucky. The homework! It never ends. Either way, I hope you get to spend time with a good book.


8 comments:

Jennette Marie Powell said...

The math article was very interesting. Makes sense, because in most commercial fiction, there's a major turning point around halfway through the story, and .618 is just a little over halfway. Now I'm curious to look at my own work to see if that's closer to where those "halfway" actually occur. Have fun at your conference!

Sarah Andre said...

Allison Brennan also mentioned a huge turning point or betrayal unveiled exactly halfway thru. She picked up one of her books and flipped to the middle and was able to tell us the pivotal scene.

Regarding log lines and tag lines, that was very interesting and I am that much more of an informed writer now. Thanks, Pat!

Have fun at the LSC.

Coleen Patrick said...

Have a GREAT time, Pat. :)

Sheila Seabrook said...

Wonderful links and information, Pat. You're always so great at collecting this stuff and sharing it. :)

Have a great time at your conference. Am looking forward to hearing about it!

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Hi, Jennette! I like the little-over-halfway point because it gives the writer some leeway.

The conference, Georgia RWA's Moonlight and Magnolias, was great.

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Hi, Sarah,
Marcy Kennedy does a terrific job of explaining loglines and tag lines.

Guess what! At Moonlight and Magnolias, I ran into McCall Hoyle, who made the finals of the Lone Star Contest for YA. She'd already committed to volunteering at M&M so couldn't make the trip to Houston. Her concentration ping-ponged between Georgia and Texas last Saturday, and it turns out she won her category.

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Thank you, Coleen! I did have a great time, and the experience was all the sweeter for being my first conference in 2+ years. I really should get out more.

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Hi, Sheila! I enjoyed all those links, but the Matt Haig post "spoke" to me.

Know what else? Marcy's explanation of taglines and loglines is the clearest I've encountered.