Friday, June 1, 2012

HAVING A THRILLER OF A SUMMER


With summer here, I’m finding my reading choices have shifted with the season. Recently I’ve been especially enjoying some terrific romantic suspense books and thrillers. Who can resist Vince Flynn’s political thrillers or the latest Jack Reacher from Lee Child? But beyond the top ten of the New York Times Bestseller List, there are some great beach reads that take a bit more digging to discover.
 Out this week is a collection of short stories/novellas called LOVE IS MURDER by thirty superstars of the suspense genre. Sure, Sandra Brown’s name is on the cover in bold type, but don’t overlook gems by Brenda Novak, Laura Griffin, Roxanne St. Claire, and Houston’s own Will Simon. If you’re out and about in Houston on Sunday afternoon, stop by Murder by the Book on Bissonnet at 3:00 pm and get Will to sign your copy!
Speaking of Brenda Novak and Laura Griffin, I just finished their recent releases and both were terrific!! In Laura’s TWISTED  a young woman police detective teams with a hardened FBI profiler to find the twisted killer of young women. Laura knows her stuff when it comes to real life detective work and could teach CSI Miami a thing or two!
The hero of Brenda Novak’s INSIDE served fourteen years for a murder he didn't commit, but when he’s finally exonerated, must go back inside a high security prison undercover to protect his sister and her kids. Add a woman Chief Deputy Warden who tries to protect him and…well, things do heat up in more ways than one!
 So what are you reading? What do you recommend for a sunny afternoon at poolside?

3 comments:

Sarah Andre said...

Thanks for the recommendations! I read and loved the Novak book (and am finishing the 2nd in her series: In Seconds, but have not read Griffin's.

I plan on buying the Murder 3 anthology(and visitig Will Simon)on Sunday so maybe I'll pick up Twisted as well.

Happy reading!

Lark Howard said...

And you always have great recommendations, Sarah. I've discovered several new authors on your Kiss and Thrill blog. kissandthrill.com

Pat O'Dea Rosen said...

Hi, Lark,
I'm working my way though some WWII-set novels lent to me by Pat Kay, but I know what I'm ordering as soon as I finish writing this comment: WILD by Cheryl Strayed. The book, an account of the author's hike along the Pacific Coast Trail, was recommended by Oprah, but that's not why I'm ordering it. I'm ordering it because I just learned Strayed is Dear Sugar, the advice columnist at The Rumpus. I'm a Dear Sugar fan. Here's what she had to say about writers and writing:http://therumpus.net/2010/08/dear-sugar-the-rumpus-advice-column-48-write-like-a-motherfucker/